Military Hunting and Fishing presents Colorado.

Colorado ForumColorado Public Land MapColorado Fishing NewsColorado Hunting News

​With more than 23 million acres of public land, Colorado is an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise.

Active Duty Military

  • Free admission on Veteran’s Day (Nov. 11) to all state parks. Active duty and veterans are admitted free to Colorado state parks on Veteran’s Day. The military member or veteran must show proof of military service (photo ID, DD-214, be in uniform, etc.). All other park fees (camping, etc.) are still charged. 
  • Resident fishing while home on temporary leave – Colorado residents who are on active duty and permanently stationed outside of the state may fish without a license while in Colorado on temporary leave. The military member must carry a copy of their leave papers with them while fishing and cannot use this exemption for more than 30 days per year. 
  • Residency while stationed in Colorado – Active duty military personnel stationed in Colorado and their family members can qualify to purchase hunting and fishing licenses at the Colorado resident rates. Personnel and their dependents qualify for residency if they are on active duty in Colorado under permanent orders. Military personnel must show proof by showing active duty military orders when purchasing resident licenses. Active duty does not include reserve status or National Guard.
  • Preference points while deployed outside the U.S. – Active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces who are stationed in Colorado and actively deployed outside the U.S. can apply to receive a preference point for a future hunt. A military preference point application must be completed and restrictions do apply.
  • License refund and preference point return if deployed after applying for a hunting license. For more information, contact Limited Licensing at .
  • Advance purchase of leftover hunting licenses – Active duty military members who are deployed outside of the United States and are stationed in Colorado or a Colorado resident can purchase leftover licenses after the draw and prior to the annual leftover purchase date. Check the leftover license list on the big game hunting page and complete the Military Leftover Application​.    

Disabled Veterans


​ ​​​​​​​​​​Colorado is world renowned for its wide array of outdoor recreation. Colorado Parks and Wildlife strives to make sure that everyone can access our special places and activities. Here are some of the Colorado Parks and Wildlife programs available to people with disabilities: Link to Complete Page of info!

Lifetime Licenses

Colorado offers a Disabled Veteran Lifetime Fishing and Small Game Hunting Combo License

Military veterans who are disabled and residents of Colorado are eligible to apply for a lifetime fishing and small game combo license. The veteran must have proof of service-connected disability of 60% or more, as rated by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs. Purple Heart recipients are also eligible to apply for the combo license. Hunter education requirements must still be met for use of the small game license.

  • ​ Colorado residents with current Colorado Disabled Veterans license plates may access Colorado State Parks free without a pass on the windshield. These plates are obtained through the Division of Motor Vehicles. The law for individuals with Disabled Veterans license plates provides free entrance to state parks and does not provide special camping rates. The veteran must be present in the vehicle.​
  • ​ Military veterans who are disabled and residents of Colorado are eligible to apply for a lifetime fishing and small game combo license. The veteran must have proof of service-connected disability of 60% or more, as rated by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs. For more information and for application, see the Accessibility page​.
  • Colorado resident disabled veterans may apply for a Columbine Annual Pass (see the Accessibility page​ for more information about the Columbine Pass).
  • Disabled veterans over age 64 qualify for discounted camping in state parks Sunday through Thursday, excluding holidays.

Wounded Warrior / Safe Harbor Program

The Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission annually sets aside a number of hunting licenses for members of the Wounded Warrior or Safe Harbor programs. While there are limits on the number of licenses that can be issued (100 each female deer, elk and pronghorn and 100 total male deer, elk and pronghorn), the goal is to issue as many of these licenses as possible.

Program requirements: 

  • Must be a member of the US Armed Forces and a Colorado resident or stationed in Colorado.
  • Must be returning from a post-Sept. 11, 2001 overseas contingency operation.
  • Must be assigned to a military medical treatment facility at the time of application.
  • Must be a member of the United States Armed Services Wounded Warrior or Safe Harbor Program.

Complete the Application for Wounded Warrior Program​. For more information, contact the Limited Licensing Unit at . ​​

Special Notes:

Not available for sale over the internet or phone 

  • Lifetime Licenses
  • Special Hunts
  • Landowner Voucher Licenses
  • Replacements (Duplicate Licenses)
  • Gift Licenses

These licenses are available from any lice​​nse agent or CPW office contact information.

License Information

General Hunting Fishing
Purchase License Online Hunting License Information Fishing License Information
Duplicate / Replacement Lifetime Licensing Lifetime Licensing
License Agent Listings Hunting Regulations Fishing Regulations
Permits Gun Regulations Disabled Veteran License Information

Interactive Fishing Brochure

Thank you for visiting Military Hunting and Fishing in Colorado.



Follow by Email