Military Hunting and Fishing presents Alaska.

Alaska ForumAlaska Public Land MapAlaska Fishing NewsAlaska Hunting News

Active Duty Military

Q: Can Military personnel who have established Alaska residency and are then involuntarily transferred to a military assignment in another state lose their Alaska residency? What if they obtain a “resident” hunting or fishing license in the other state that is specially provided to members of the military?

A: Military personnel who are transferred to Alaska can obtain “resident” hunting and fishing licenses two ways:

Per AS 16.05.940(27)(A), a person can qualify by maintaining their domicile in the state for the preceding 12 consecutive months, and not claiming residency or obtaining benefits of residency in another state, territory or country. This type of residency is indefinite and may be permanent if the qualifications continue to be met.

Per AS 16.05.940(27)(C), a member of the military service or United States Coast Guard and their dependents may purchase a “resident” license after being stationed in Alaska for 12 consecutive months without any intent to make Alaska their domicile, and in spite of their claiming domicile in another state. This type of residency is temporary and expires immediately upon a transfer to another state.

Once residency is established, it can be maintained even if the person is absent from the state, as long as certain conditions are met. Per AS 16.05.415:

(a) In AS 16.05.330 – 16.05.430, a person is a resident if the person
(1) is physically present in the state with the intent to remain in the state indefinitely and to make a home in the state;
(2) has maintained the person’s domicile in the state for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the application for a license;
(3) is not claiming residency in another state, territory, or country; and
(4) is not obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another state, territory, or country

(b) A person who establishes residency in the state under (a) of this section remains a resident during an absence from the state unless during the absence the person
(1) establishes or claims residency in another state, territory, or country; or
(2) performs an act, or is absent under circumstances, that is inconsistent with the intent required under (a) of this section.

Military personnel who have attained residency while stationed in Alaska and are then subsequently involuntarily transferred to another state, may continue to purchase an Alaskan resident sport license. However while stationed elsewhere, they cannot do anything to negate their residency in Alaska while stationed in another state. For example they need to: retain Alaska as Home of Residence with the military, keep their Alaska driver’s license (if legally possible), Alaska voters registration card, Alaska vehicle registration, etc.

Some states allow military personnel to purchase resident sport licenses based solely on their military status without meeting the residency conditions of nonmilitary persons. The purchase of such a license in many states will not negate the Alaskan residency status of military personnel stationed there.

The State of Alaska Attorney General’s office has looked at each state’s residency requirements and has determined that the following states ARE NOT approved to purchase that state’s resident license and still qualify for a resident license in Alaska: Alabama, Iowa, Louisiana, Minnesota (for moose and elk), New York, Oklahoma, Utah, Washington, and West Virginia. For all other states, the military resident must not have done anything else to negate their Alaskan residency (see above information).

Please Note: If a state changes their military resident requirement, the above states may no longer qualify or may now qualify for a State of Alaska resident license. The information on this site for various states may not be current. Please review the military license requirements each year for the state where you are currently stationed to ensure they have not changed.

If a military person living outside Alaska who has met Alaska’s residency definition above plans a fishing/hunting trip to Alaska and wants to purchase a resident Alaska sport license, they must:

  • meet the conditions above if they purchased a resident license in their new state based on their military status, and
  • be in one of the state’s the Attorney General’s office has approved.

If you have any questions, please contact ADF&G Licensing.

Disabled Veterans

Alaska Resident Disabled Veteran Licenses

Alaska Resident Disabled Veterans who meet the Department of Fish and Game’s residency definition and who are certified 50% disabled are eligible for a Disabled Veteran License (DV) in order to hunt and sport fish for free. Applicants must be physically present in the State of Alaska to apply. Applicants who complete this form and who meet disability and residency requirements will receive a Disabled Veteran License in the mail within 2 – 6 weeks.

If at any time a DV license holder is no longer a resident of the State of Alaska, their DV License is immediately void.

The following situations disqualify applicants from receiving the DV License; there may be others:

  •     Having a resident hunting/fishing license in another state.
  •     Being registered to vote in another state.
  •     Receiving a tax break on property tax in another state (homestead exemption).
  •     Receiving benefits under a claim of residency in another state, territory, or country.

Alaska Resident Disabled Veteran License Application

Application for Sport Fishing and Hunting License for Alaska Resident Disabled Veterans (PDF 288 kB)

Instructions: Complete and send the DV application form along with your letter of disability certification to: Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Licensing Section, P.O. Box 115525, Juneau, Alaska, 99811-5525, or email to or fax (907) 465-2440.

A complete reference to disabled requirements or Eligibitiy can be found here.


License Information

General Hunting Fishing
Purchase License Online Hunting License Information Fishing License Information
Duplicate / Replacement Lifetime Licensing Lifetime Licensing
License Agent / Vendor Listing Hunting Regulations Fishing Regulations
Permits Gun Regulations Disabled Veteran License Information

2014 Annual Licensing Newsletter (PDF 674 kB).

Thank you for visiting Military Hunting and Fishing in Alaska.


Follow by Email